Monday, May 15, 2006

Obesity - we're not alone...

Good to know that we're not the only ones...

In the May issue of the American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology (didn't you read it?!?), a study found that hamsters placed in a social setting were more likely to become overweight.

The explanation? Social stress, according to the researchers. Hamsters which normally like to hang out by themselves, got stressed when placed in a crowded living situation.

We know that stress contributes to overeating in people - it's interesting to see that translate into the animal world.

5 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Flea said...

Hey! Don't be dissing the AJP! That's where I published most of my papers during my PhD work!

best,

Flea

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Michael P. Scaccia, MD, FAAP said...

Boy, if I knew they would take submissions from any old "researcher", I'd have thought twice about mentioning it...

:-)

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://www.infrared-sauna-spot.info

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger GloryMiles said...

Some experts consider children who watch TV or surf the Internet more than five hours per day are four-and-a-half times more likely to become overweight than those who watch/surf two hours or less. As my kids are tempted to stay inside rather than playing and exercising outdoors, I use parental control software Ez Internet Timer. Works fine under Vista 64-bit. It lets me turn off my sons’ internet when I want it to (lets me set time limits for each of my kid).

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Monica said...

Man, stress is such big factor, a factor that I am not sure is being taken into account enough when we think about obesity. I think kids are under a lot of pressure these days, esp if your kids are in an accelerated program/school. Sometimes it isn't an issue of if the kids are solely picking bad things to eat. It can be that what is going on in their lives are causing them to eat more of whatever.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home